Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Humourous signs

I love signs. They try to convey messages quickly and especially to people who don't understand that particular language. And kudos for attempting in English when that is not the native language in the area. But I must say I had to haul out my dictionary for some of these signs... [Attempts at proper translations in italics]



Ouch. Hong Kong seems a dangerous place for pedestrians


No, this is not a black hole. It represents a "traffic black spot," a.k.a. frequent collisions so be careful. Hm, did I mention Hong Kong seems a dangerous place?


Oh, I will!
[Beware, ground is slippery]


I mean, who really does mind tumbling?
[Be careful of falling]


I dare not go against the 2nd Law...
[Do not litter]


???
Dictionary.com: virescence, n. The state or process of becoming green, especially the abnormal development of green coloration in plant parts normally not green
[Protect our plants]


Biogenic whaaaaaat??
Dictionary.com: karst, n. An area of limestone terrain characterized by sinks, ravines, and underground streams
[Basically, protect the area, don't break things off etc.]


This doesn't make sense in either language. The Chinese reads: The match that sells the little girl


Did they mean "automated"? Actually, maybe not:
Dictionary.com: ostomate, n. one who has undergone an ostomy. ostomy, n. surgical procedure that creates an artificial opening for the elimination of bodily wastes
The Japanese text really does use the word "ostomate"...



No translation problems, just cute signs :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Nice! I remember this kind of signs from my time in China, they are so funny! And almost none of them is spelled correctly..

Taalk to you soon (maybe from Italy)!

Tijl